The residents of Tilsit laid the foundation of the Jakobsruhe Park in 1823 – they voluntarily decided to arrange alleys and flower beds. The park project was designed by the famous architect Heidenreich. Rare species of trees from the Mediterranean, Japan and North America were brought here, a pond was made in the park. Also, handicraft exhibitions took place here, and an ethnographic museum was founded. Until now, the main attraction of the park has been the monument to the Queen of Prussia – Louise, installed here in the early 20th century.